Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I Don't Have a Job...or so I Have Been Told--What is the value of this non-job?

I recently came across a note that I had written in 2007....today it still rings true. There are still people telling me that I don't have a job. At this time I am the mother of 4 teenagers---19, 17, 15, 13 and I can tell you that there is no way anyone can prepare you for that part of motherhood. It does not even enter your brain when you think of having a sweet little one....

That being said I have been lucky to "not have a job" for nearly 18 years....

       October 11, 2007,

I didn’t get a paycheck last week, nor did I get one in the 735 ½ weeks before that. I get 3 days off,  once or sometimes twice a year. My job is always incomplete. It requires careful attention to detail and constant re-evaluation.

I have crafted over 51 costumes and 25 quilts, washed over 9000 loads of laundry, cooked over 4382 dinners, decorated well over 3000 cookies, made 5000+ peanut butter balls, made innumerable lunches, changed over 24,000 diapers, made play dough, bubbles, tepees and books, cataloged and leveled 3000+ children’s books, recorded and researched more than 6000 ancestors, scanned hundreds of antique photos, bought thousands of gallons of milk and read hundreds of books…What is the value of my job?

When it is recorded this way it certainly appears to be a job,and this only touched on some of the highlights of the things I have been doing while I didn't have a job.

What does it count for? It was not enough...

No comments: